Thursday, June 17, 2010

Group A, B, and C

I have not done any research on any teams prior to the World Cup. However, after watching the games, I am slowly picking my favorites. Obviously, I want USA to take it. They are going to have to get their heads together and learn to pass if they want to go far.

From Group A - I did not watch South Africa play Mexico. My first game to watch was Uruguay vs. France. Interesting that both ended in a tie. I did watch the South Africa and Uruguay game, and I felt really bad for S. Africa, with their keeper getting a red card and just getting some real bad luck. I do want South Africa to make it to the next round because they are the host country. Call me lame, but there it is. I just watched the Mexico and France game, and I enjoyed it quite a lot. I remember when the 37 year old coming in, I thought, "He's old! We'll see how he does..." And he scored! France made some really poor decisions. I am quite disappointed with France, considering they got second last World Cup, and in PKs. They don't seem to be working together and they do not really have any standouts in my opinion.

All in all - I hope Mexico and South Africa make it out. The standing right now though are Uruguay and Mexico, each with 4, and then South Africa and France, each with 1. In order for South America to advance, they would need to beat France with at least a net of 7 goals (Mexico would have to help them out with this by scoring a lot on Uruguay to make their net goals go down as well. Right now S. Africa has net -3 and Uruguay has 3 - If Mexico beats Uruguay and S. Africa beats France.) I do NOT see this happening. I think Mexico and Uruguay will go through.

From Group B - My guess is that Argentina and South Korea will advance to the next round. I did not see Argentina play South Korea, however I heard a knockout in favor of Argentina. I have not seen South Korea play at all, and they have Nigeria left. I am just going by scores, but S. Korea beat Greece, and Greece beat Nigeria - so S. Korea will beat Nigeria. Dumb argument, right? If Nigeria brings it, which I think they are capable of, then it could be a good match. But Argentina for SURE. So far I am quite impressed with them, mostly Messi :) He has been one of the players that has really stood out to me. Always moving and creating plays.

From Group C - USA has Slovenia and Algeria left, both important wins, and the same with England. I did not see the Slovenia and Algeria game, so I am not too sure how they play or if they are good. My guess is England and USA will advance. Obviously I want USA to advance, and I don't want England to, just to be advantageous to USA. However, with the other groups, I am not really thinking advantage. No matter what, it will be a competitive next round and difficult for USA.

No comments:

Post a Comment