Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Greed

Thought that I would post this as a reminder to myself to examine my own character as well.

Yesterday, my best friend brought her son over for a bit before we went shopping, and then Ellie and him got to hang out for a bit afterwards. They both have, what Taylor and I call, frog. It's like a small soft blanket with an animal head of some sort. Ellie's is a frog, and she also has a monkey. Cash has a lion one. ANYWAY, these are their comfort items I guess you can say. Well Ellie and Cash like to fight over them. Last night, Ellie would have hers in one hand and walk over to Cash and snatch it from him and then walk away with both in tow. Cash, with a look like What?!, would go over and snatch his back. Ellie would then whine and go over and tug and tug until she could get his back from him. Although it was super funny to watch, I had to do a check. Right then, Ellie was being greedy and she was mad that she could not have both. So instead of laughing, I decided it was best that I nipped that behavior right in the bud. I gave her a couple of swats on the bottom until she released the toy and let Cash have it. She is still too little to understand what I was trying to teach, but I realized that I am supposed to be teaching her godliness, and the character that she was showing was greed and not godliness. Yes, you may say, she is only 1 (well almost :) ), but I am going to go with I should start teaching and LEADING BY EXAMPLE that greed is not a desirable trait and train her so. The LEAD BY EXAMPLE I capitalized for myself to remember that we are constantly having to be remolded to be like Christ and be godly. I pray for myself that God continues to discipline me where I am needed, and that He gives me wisdom in how I can train my children up in godliness as well. Oh boy, is it going to be a long road, but I know very enjoyable if we keep to his path.

1 comment:

  1. Haaa!!!! You are awesome Amanda:-) Cash wasn't so sweet about "sharing" his lion either, I need to keep that in check!! Thanks for making me laugh and look deeper:-)

    ReplyDelete